Friday, February 13, 2015

Mason Jar Salad: A Creativity and Health Fist-Bump.

I got this idea from another blog, and wanted to try it myself. There's an excess of mason jars in the house, and as long as it's not mid-summer (canning season!) I usually have a few out to use and experiment with.
If you haven't already read my Trucking post, you should know that I'm in the position of needing to be extra creative with making healthy meals for my traveling husband. Between his food preferences, storage options, and time away, it's usually basic fare. 
Thankfully, he is gracious and doesn't mind the same food each day while he's on the road. For his vegetables, I usually just pack a large container of either green beans or carrots: easy to eat without a mess. Still, I'm always on the look-out for ideas to add for my meal vault. 

Let's try this here salad in a jar:

~Bear in mind I usually make a weeks worth of meals at a time, so I'm doing seven of these babies. Four for Travis, three for me. It's easier to eat well when worthwhile food has been prepared. Gives less opportunity for excuses and temptation, from which I use all the help I can get!~

Set out the ingredients all at once, so you're not dashing back and forth.
I'm loving my twist on jar lids by the way; bought here on Amazon. 


Pour in whatever dressing you'd like first; this keeps the veggies from spoiling. 
I'm tossing in some olive oil (so good), red wine vinegar, as I have bad taste memories of white from previous morning sickness, and Braggs liquid aminos, which should speak for itself. 


Then chop the veggies. I'm going to layer carrots, green peppers, and beets next. Beets are new to our diet, as I'm trying to add more color.


I didn't cut the pieces too small; remember, you're trying to layer and keep things fresh and out of the dressing. 


I might have been motivated by these healthy mason jars to make a small lunch of my own.


Then add whatever healthy goodness is on hand. We're avoiding nuts and dried fruit at the moment while healing our teeth, so it's a few shakes of Nutritional Yeast  and ground flax seed  on top of the lettuce. Just used up my Chia  seeds in my last batch of mason jar oatmeal. Sad. 

When you're ready to eat, either snag a bowl and dump it out, or shake the jar and dig in. 


 Simple, tasty, and husband-approved. 


No comments:

Post a Comment