Sunday, February 1, 2015

Blackberry Maple Overnight Oatmeal

I found this oatmeal to be the relief of our breakfast quandary. My manly man is gone several days at a time, and I was at a loss for what to make him for breakfast, as he is equipped with a...fridge. Gah.
I'm amazed I hadn't heard of this before now! It's simple, easy, and you can use almost any fruit and additive you want. I got a basic recipe and then played around. 

Ingredients:
1/4 Cup rolled oats
1/3 Cup milk-I use raw or whole
1/4 yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons chia seeds or ground flaxseeds
1/4 teaspoon wheat germ
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1/4 Blackberries (fill the jar if you have a half-pint)




I make at least 4-6 of these at a time; a week's worth for Travis and some for me.


Put oats, then yogurt, milk, and chia seeds/flaxseeds/wheatgerm, and shake.
Add the fruit and syrup, then shake once more
Place in the fridge overnight, although they can last 3-6 days depending on fruit. Berries keep well, mango, kiwi, bananas not so much. 

If you have them, this recipe will fill a half-pint jar. The amount is satisfying
enough, however, that I don't like to double it and haven't bothered to get the jars. 
I did, however, invest a few dollars in these lids from amazon, so Travis doesn't need to bother with lids and bands on the road. Nice. 


If you want a raspberry vanilla version, replace the maple syrup with 1 teaspoon vanilla; use 1/4 cup red raspberries. 

note: buy fruit in-season or frozen, so as to get the best quality. 
Play around! use molasses for extra iron; add stevia for sweetness, quinoa for fun texture. 
The best part, besides getting up in the morning knowing I can grab a jar for my breakfast? 
My oatmeal-disdaining man liked it. 










No comments:

Post a Comment