Monday, January 26, 2015

Our DIY Toothpaste Journey

So.
Toothpaste. 

Our first foray into this do-it-yourself world was our basic toothpaste. We usually order from my brother-in-law, but ran out of money, and toothpaste, at the same time. I turned to the handy dandy interwebs, and cruised along. Here's what we used: 

Coconut oil. mmmm. delicious. cook, oil pull, moisturize, and apparently, toothpaste. I get mine here atVitacost. Organic, cold-pressed, the good stuff. I usually make enough for two containers, so 1/4 cup each coconut oil. 

Baking soda. pretty basic. 1 tablespoon.




10-15 drops Peppermint oil.  I am your friendly neighborhood DoTerra Wellness Advocate, so I will cheerfully recommend DoTerra as a reliable place to get quality Peppermint oil. I also add Melaleuca if I remember, as that's also a good antibacterial, anti-infectious, antiseptic, antiviral, and all sorts of other good things you can learn about in this book, Modern Essentials.



Basically, mix and use! See why I started with this recipe? 

Notes on taking this toothpaste:

 Know that coconut oil will melt. You can still use the toothpaste, just beware the container you use so you don't have greasy spots on your kitchen sink. Pyrex is nice. You can store it in the kitchen fridge, but that might be easier if any of these situations apply:
 A. you don't have kids trying to kill themselves by diving headfirst into the bathroom sink, necessitating your unceasing eye over them during toothbrush time.
 B. you care enough to do so
C. you have the time and energy
Which I don't. 

Also, the same rules apply with brushing with coconut oil as they do when you oil pull (see here for a basic tutorial and reasoning behind oil pulling): spit in a trash can, not the sink. 

For those with chillens: I've been giving my guy this toothpaste for over a year, and although he's no closer to spitting, I'm just fine with using it, knowing that what's going in him is not crud. Horray!  He gets his own paste container, and he can put it on himself. Learning independence for the win.  

To Update you on my Toothpaste journey, we recently started using DoTerra's OnGuard Toothpaste (here if you want to order either samples or take the plunge), and we are fans.  Good ingredients. Yum. And no, my guy is still not spitting. One day.




We're also going to be attempting to heal our dental woes with a remineralizing toothpaste shown here  by Paleo Mama: I will update that another time. 

Good luck! 

1 comment:

  1. and by kitchen sink mentioned above, I meant bathroom sink. Must be spending an awful lot of time in the kitchen...le sigh.

    ReplyDelete