Monday, July 4, 2016

My new best friend: Bone Broth

It's useful for colds, immune support, 
 milk supply, weight loss, and healthy skin. 
Miracle pill? 
No sir.
 It's back to basics with homemade bone broth!

It seems like we've all had it: that delicious chicken broth that someone makes for us when we're home sick from school. But that's not all it can be used for! I started making this in earnest when my middle guy was ready for solids. Just couldn't swallow the thought of putting him on baby cereal. There had to be something better. 
I asked a friend whose family runs a farm for advice, and started buying some beef bones. 

Look at those babies.
 Grass fed and organic deliciousness. $2.50 a pound, and you can keep making broth with the same bones until they soften, so that's several weeks worth of broth for our family.


Roast them bones for at least an hour around 350.  


Place them into the crock pot so you don't have to worry 
about forgetting it (key for this mama)
Add water and vegetable scraps: onion and carrot peels, celery ends. 
Leave.
Remember two days later. 

Strain and enjoy.
So good. 

When I was pumping for donation, I had a mug of this or water after every nursing or pumping session. Besides helping with supply, I was also able to lose weight at a healthy pace, while getting good stuffs into myself and my babies.  Look into 
Weston A. Price and his research into nutrition. http://www.westonaprice.org/
Good fats, baby. Good fats. 
Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment